London’s air quality impacts everyone living, working and travelling in the city. As a London-based business driven by environmental purpose, we go above and beyond to minimise the impact of our fleet of 60+ vehicles on London’s air. The Mayor’s Environment Strategy outlines ambitious goals to improve both air pollution and London’s low recycling rates. Our progressive operational model means we can deliver increased recycling rates at the same time as improving London’s air quality.
Air pollution is harmful to the environment as well as our health, and whilst we could list the countless risks it poses, we’ve chosen to focus on the positive impact we’re having on London’s air as part of First Mile’s Clean Air Strategy.
1. Zero Emissions Deliveries: In Central London we operate 150 zero emissions deliveries a day through our electric vans and our industry-first cargo bike and continues to electrify our entire delivery fleet. We also operate reverse logistics by collecting in-office waste as we deliver, ensuring no vehicle journey is wasted.
2. Ultra Low Emission Zone compliant HGVs: Until electric HGVs are viable, First Mile continues to invest in its clean air fleet, ensuring all our HGVs are Euro VI. This means that our trucks release less than half the amount of nitrogen oxide and particulate matter of a standard diesel car, and three times less than the average black cab.
3. Award-winning Sacktory: First Mile own London’s most central waste sorting depot – our Sacktory, located in Park Royal. It has revolutionised operations, leading to a reduced number of vehicles on the road, and fewer miles travelled which has significantly lowered our impact on congestion and air pollution.
4. Consolidation Schemes: First Mile works with a number of Business Improvement Districts and partners to consolidate their waste services. This has seen a huge reduction in the number of waste collection trucks on the road. In Bond Street alone we have reduced the need for over 40 trucks a day.
5. Pioneering Driver Technology: We have invested in route optimisation programmes to determine the most fuel-efficient route for our collection and delivery vehicles. Additionally, all our vehicles are fitted with telematics to deter heavy breaking, fast acceleration and idling, all of which increase emissions.
In short, air quality is a priority for us and we are fastidious about holding ourselves accountable. Through our Clean Air Strategy, we aim to deliver high recycling levels to businesses at the lowest possible impact. If you have any questions or are interested to find out more, get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org.